Saturday 29 October 2011

Snowballs

I have a feeling these are called something else everywhere else as finding a recipe online came up with lots of interesting but completely different recipes. This is a family one and produces quite a similar result to the shop bought ones. If you've never had them they're light, drier sponge, sandwiched with jam and with an icing and coconut covering. Sounds weird but is lovely. A drink (tea being perfect) is reccommended due to the dryness and coconut.



9oz flour





4oz butter/margarine





4oz caster sugar





3 eggs





1tsp baking powder















To decorate:





Jam (around 1/2 jar)





Icing sugar





Dessicated coconut






Makes around 16











1) Mix the butter and sugar together until pale





2) Add the eggs in one at a time until combined





3) Stir in the flour and baking powder until well mixed





4) Draw 2in circles onto baking paper, turn drawn on side down onto a baking sheet and pipe within the circles. The circles should be well spaced as the batter will spread and if they're too close will end up joined and square. (I used a star tip as it was handy but it doesn't matter as they sort themselves out in the oven anyway)










5) Bake for 10 min at 220C until well risen and golden brown





6) Put onto a baking tray and leave to cool completely












7) Match similar 'tops' and 'bottoms' and sandwich with 1 tbsp jam each





8) Make up icing as instructed on the packet for 12 buns. Add 2 tbsp water to make it runnier as it needs to go on without tearing the cake. Dip or use a spoon to complely cover the sandwiched cake (a thin layer is enough)





9) Immediately roll in some coconut to cover











I will warn you, this gets messy! Look at the state of my kitchen, you can only imagine what my hands looked like! I can't even remember what the scissors were for.

You could reduce this a little by rolling the 'halves' in icing and coconut first then assembling once hardened, but then the jam will be more obvious and I like an as much as possible uniform look. I made a few lemon curd ones as I ran out of strawberry jam and they were nicer I think. Raspberry would be nice too.










I used a cupcake stand to display, looks cool I think and the recipe conveniently made 13 good ones and a few ...taster ones.










No comments: